It’s natural to experience some anxiety when you learn you need a tooth extraction. Fortunately, one thing you don’t need to worry about is a painful procedure!
With a caring, experienced dentist who uses strong anesthetics to numb the area, the sensation most patients experience is pressure as the tooth is removed. You also don’t have to worry about pain immediately following the procedure, as your mouth will remain numb for several hours.
Ensure a Comfortable Recovery after Tooth Extraction
Your dentist in Winter Springs, FL, recommends you take off the rest of the day after your procedure if possible. While tooth extraction is not painful, it is an invasive procedure, and your body needs time to recover and heal.
You can ensure the most comfortable, problem-free recovery after tooth extraction by following these recommendations:
- Bite down on the gauze pad your dentist provides for an hour after your procedure and replace it with a clean one to control bleeding. Keep your head elevated when you lay down.
- When you get home, take ibuprofen or a pain medication okayed by your doctor to minimize discomfort as the numbness starts to wear off.
- Use an ice pack wrapped in a clean towel and place it on your cheek in the affected area—20 minutes on, 20 minutes off—to minimize swelling and discomfort.
- Don’t drink through a straw or smoke for 24 hours. You can dislodge the healing clot forming over the extraction site, leading to a very painful complication called dry socket.
- Follow a soft diet for 24 hours and avoid hot foods. Think yogurt, jello, puddings, and smoothies. Soup, mashed potatoes, and scrambled eggs are okay, but let them cool to room temperature before consuming.
If you experience anything out of the ordinary like excessive bleeding or pain, call your dentist right away.
Comfortable Tooth Extraction in Winter Springs, FL
Dr. Christopher Young has provided comfortable tooth extractions for his patients since 1996. He is a caring dentist, and if you need a tooth removed, you couldn’t be in better hands.
If you think you need a tooth extraction and live in or around Winter Springs, Winter Park, Oviedo, Tuscawilla, or Casselberry, please call us to schedule an appointment.