The benefit of oral cancer screenings is early detection and treatment. At Advanced Dental Care, we perform oral cancer screenings in Winter Springs, FL, during routine visits. Your dentist will check for any oral lesions, spots, lumps, and other irregularities during the appointment.
Oral Cancer Screenings Lead to Early Detection
Oral cancer screenings allow the dentist to check for any signs of precancerous conditions or cancer in the mouth. These screenings aim to identify oral cancer early when there’s a greater chance for successful and effective treatment.
Common Signs of Oral Cancer
Knowing the signs of oral cancer is essential to help detect and treat it early. Here are some common symptoms:
- Sores in the mouth that don’t heal
- Painful swallowing or difficulty swallowing
- Pain in the mouth, jaw, or ear
- Red or white patches in the mouth
- Lumps or growths in the mouth or throat
- Loose teeth unrelated to another dental issue
How to Lower Your Risk
Oral cancer screening benefits all patients, especially those with higher risks of developing oral cancer. Certain factors can increase your risk of having oral cancer:
- Tobacco use, including cigarettes, chewing tobacco, vapes, cigars, and pipes
- Heavy alcohol use
- Previous diagnosis of oral cancer
- Significant sun exposure, which can lead to lip cancer
- Human papillomavirus (HPV)
Contact Us Today
If you’re concerned about oral cancer, speak with your doctor about reducing your risks and schedule a screening.